Godalming Hotel & view of Meadrow Street
Kia 'hire' car - driving the Motorway
- squeezing up the narrow alley to hotel parking
(an inch either side of the wing mirrors!)
- an easy 'B' road
others were too 'close' (narrow) to take photos!
On the road from Godalming to Winchester
The Whistle Stop pub in Liss
Petersfield in a good rain
Charterhouse School (for boys) in Godalming
- characters Foster and Blaise attend this prep school in 'Blood Curse' and 'Finding Lily'
St Swithuns School (for girls) in Winchester
- character JJ's school in 'Finding Lily'
The Vyne - a stately home and garden
- host to royal honeymoons and weekend parties for the posh of London (early 20C)
My hotel in Godalming was centrally located to research locations and prep schools for characters in contemporary novels 'Spy's Wife' and 'Finding Lily'.
Driving on the left was easy. But the drive from Petworth House (pictured below on this page) to Godalming was the most frighteningly narrow road (though beautiful) I have ever driven.
10th of October
- in two weeks, the flaming autumn 'colour' will be spectacular...
Petersfield and the nearby village of Liss are perfect settings for the fictional country estate of 'the Wilders'. Solid rain and my long-circuit that day kept me from exploring Petersfield. I'll go back before finishing 'Finding Lily'.
...repairing the slate and lead roof